Package management is an important function in RHEL 8 systems. From the day a well-maintained system comes online, to the day it’s decommissioned, packages are installed, removed and updated on a regular basis. In this hands-on lab, we will install and update software packages on RHEL 8. We will also be working with a newer concept to RHEL 8, Application Streams. Application Streams allow multiple versions of user space components, providing more flexibility to customize RHEL 8 while maintaining system and application stability. In this lab, we will work with package module streams in RHEL 8.
Successfully complete this lab by achieving the following learning objectives:
- Install and Update Software Packages from the Red Hat Network, a Remote Repository, and from the Local File System
- Query if a package is installed.
- Query the yum repo for the package.
- Get info about the package.
- Install the package from local, remove, and reinstall from online repo.
- Query the package for a list of installed files.
- Work with Package Module Streams
- Query available modules and gather information.
- Test Install Various Applications/Profiles/Versions.
- Install a Package with a Specific Version/Profile.
- De-install and Install another Version/Profile.
- Verify the Package Installation.