In this hands-on lab scenario, you are a data engineer for Awesome Company. The company’s sales data is archived in an Azure SQL Database so that it can be used downstream for transformations and analysis. Not everyone working with this data should have full access to the contents, but they need to maintain the rights to work with the dataset as a whole. You’ve been challenged with configuring appropriate encryption methods to ensure that work against the data continues as needed while also meeting company security requirements. Performing the actions of this hands-on lab will help you become familiar with encryption and data masking in Azure SQL.
Successfully complete this lab by achieving the following learning objectives:
- Configure Database-Wide Encryption
- Configure encryption so that all database contents and backups are encrypted without needing any changes to applications.
- Implement Data Masking
- Configure data masking on the LastName column of the Customer table so that only the first two characters are visible to non-administrative users.
- Require the Highest TLS Version
- Enforce use of the highest TLS available version for any clients connecting to the database.