Zone files are a key component of configuring DNS servers. In this lab we will configure a forward zone file, and add TTL, SOA, NS and A records. This allows a name server to resolve a query, given the hostname, and returns the IP address. This is the most common type of DNS query.
Successfully complete this lab by achieving the following learning objectives:
- Install and Start the Named Service, then Create the File /var/named/fwd.labdomain.com.db
yum install -y bind systemctl start named vim /var/named/fwd.labdomain.com.db
- Add the TTL and SOA Records to the Zone File
$TTL 86400 @ IN SOA nameserver.labdomain.com. root.labdomain.com. ( 10030 ;Serial 3600 ;Refresh 1800 ;Retry 604800 ;Expiry 86400 ;Minimum TTL )
- Add the NS Record to the Zone File
@ IN NS nameserver.labdomain.com.
- Add the A Records to the Zone File
nameserver IN A 172.31.18.93 mailprod IN A 172.31.18.30 mailbackup IN A 172.31.18.72
- Add the CNAME Record to the Zone File
dns IN CNAME nameserver.labdomain.com.
- Save the File and Quit the Editor