Packer allows us to use JSON or HCL code to describe and generate machine images, such as Google Compute images. In this lab, we’ll explore using Packer with GCP, including credential creation, before writing our build from scratch to save an image of a web instance.
Successfully complete this lab by achieving the following learning objectives:
- Access the Console, Create Credentials, and Pull Down Files
- In the GCP console, navigate to APIs & Services > Credentials.
- Click Create Credentials > Service account.
- Set the name of the new API service account, and then give it Project Editor permissions.
- Press Continue > Done.
- Navigate to the Compute Engine dashboard.
- Next to the provisioned
packer-workstationinstance, click SSH to access the instance.
- Create a working directory, and add the necessary lab files.
- Create the account key.
- Create the Template
Review the provided files, and create a template for our GCP builder following the details provided in the instructions; be sure to work from the
- Test the Build
Validate and test the build.