This hands-on lab provides experience with creating and customizing Lambda functions, all from within the CLI. The primary focus will be on Lambda, AWS CLI, and CloudWatch log streams. AWS Lambda allows you to create functions and only have to worry about managing your code. Using the CLI allows you to “ditch the clicks” — all those mouse gestures required when you create a function within the console.
Successfully complete this lab by achieving the following learning objectives:
- Create a Lambda Function Using the AWS CLI
Create your Lambda function with the AWS CLI and verify it exists using the console:
- SSH into the provided instance.
- Create a local zip file containing the Node.js code.
- Run the AWS CLI Lambda command to create a function (using the zipped file).
- Update the configuration settings for the function (256 MB, 5 Sec Timeout).
- Verify that the function shows within AWS.
- Invoke Your Function Using AWS CLI
Using the AWS CLI, invoke the function you just created:
- Use the AWS CLI Lambda command to invoke the function you created.
- Verify it was invoked using the monitoring section of the AWS Lambda console.
- Check the CloudWatch Logs for the proper logging.