This lab instructs the student on CloudFormation drift detection. CloudFormation stack drift occurs when the resources in a stack have drifted from their original creation template. This can become a major problem — and drift detection can be used to identify it. After the problem is identified, the lab covers the stack update steps that can be taken to bring the CloudFormation stack back into synch with the original template.
Successfully complete this lab by achieving the following learning objectives:
- Create CloudFormation Stack
- Navigate to CloudFormation.
- Click Design Template.
- Paste the provided CloudFormation template into the code section, validate, and click the up arrow icon at the top of page to create the stack.
- Terminate an EC2 Instance to Introduce Stack Drift
- Navigate to EC2.
- Go to Instances.
- Click Actions > Instance State > Terminate.
- Terminate the instance.