In this lab, we’ll deploy an image gallery app that makes an external API call to display a quote of the day. The API call will require a secret key, which we will store securely in Secret Manager and retrieve during an automated deployment with Cloud Build. You should be familiar with the GCP console and Cloud Shell to perform this hands-on lab. Some experience with Python will be beneficial.
Successfully complete this lab by achieving the following learning objectives:
- Obtain an API Key and Store It Securely
- Follow the instructions at https://favqs.com/api to obtain a developer API key.
- Store the key in Secret Manager.
- Enable Cloud Firestore in Native mode, specifying the us-east1 region.
- Deploy the Application with Cloud Build
- Create a Cloud Storage bucket for the app.
- Enable the Cloud Run Admin and Service Account User permissions in the Cloud Build settings page.
- Add the Secret Manager Secret Accessor IAM role to the Cloud Build service account.
- Use a
cloudbuild.yamlfile to deploy your Cloud Run application.
Your build steps should decrypt your secret and pass it to your service as the
All the code you need can be found in the
image-gallery/4-secretsdirectory of the course Git repo.