Virtual Data Optimizer (VDO) optimizes storage resource utilization via deduplication, compression, and thin provisioning. In this hands-on lab, we will work with LVM on top of VDO, in order to enable the deduplication of data, that is largely similar or identical in nature. We’ll also be working with some easy scripting options to create a handy log and to test our deduplication options.
Successfully complete this lab by achieving the following learning objectives:
- Setting Up an XFS Filesystem via LVM on a VDO Volume
- Verify VDO is installed.
- Create a VDO volume.
- Configure the VDO volume as an LVM physical volume.
- Create a Volume Group.
- Create an XFS filesystem.
- Mount the filesystem persistently.
- View VDO and filesystem statistics.
- Investigate Space Savings on a VDO-based Filesystem
- Create a script to test the space savings.
- Use the script to copy 100 instances of data.
- View the space savings on the Filesystem.