In this hands-on lab scenario, your organization, Awesome Company, is reducing its on-site footprint and moving as many databases as possible to the cloud. Part of this project involves migrating multiple local SQL Server databases to Azure. Some of these have transitioned to use PaaS solutions like Azure SQL Database, but others require more access to the operating system and the ability to install additional software. As the Database Administrator, you are provisioning an instance using SQL Server on Virtual Machines. To minimize the time and effort required, you are going to utilize an Azure Marketplace image to accomplish this and restore a backup of your on-site database to the new machine.
Successfully complete this lab by achieving the following learning objectives:
- Deploy a VM with SQL Server Using Azure Marketplace
- Create sql server 2019 on Windows Server 2019.
- Connect to the newly created SQL server.
- Restore a SQL Server Database from a Prior Backup
- Once you are in the VM, close out the Server Manager.
- Open Internet Explorer, click through the many prompts choosing the defaults, and paste in the following link:
- Add the certificates and download the acweb.bak file to the Windows machine.
- Copy the acweb.bak file to:
Windows (C:) >> Program Files >> Microsoft SQL Server >> MSSQL15MSSQLSERVER >> MSSQL >> Backup
- Use the .bak file and Microsoft SQL Server Tools 18 >> Microsoft SQL Server Management to restore the SQL server, created in the first learning objective.
Note: It will take some time to connect to the Microsoft SQL Server Management. Don’t forget to water any plants you have!