Docker is a great tool for containerization. However, there are some problems that need to be solved when transitioning from a Jenkins Pipeline deployment that uses code artifacts to one that uses Docker. This learning activity will guide you through the process of deploying an app as a Docker container using a Jenkins Pipeline. After completing this exercise, you will have the knowledge necessary to Dockerize applications while still maintaining automated deployment with Jenkins Pipelines.
Successfully complete this lab by achieving the following learning objectives:
- Configure Jenkins to run the new dockerized train-schedule pipeline
To accomplish this, you will need to do the following setup in Jenkins:
- Configure Jenkins credentials for the production server:
- Using the
cloud_userpassword, create a Jenkins credential called deploy.
- Configure Jenkins credentials for the Docker image registry (Docker Hub).
- Create a Jenkins credential called docker_hub_login. You will need a docker hub account in order to perform this step.
- Configure a global property in Jenkins to store the production server IP.
- Create a global property in Jenkins called prod_ip and set it to the Production Server Public IP that appears on the learning activity page once the servers are started up.
- Create a multibranch pipeline project in Jenkins called train-schedule.
- Configure the Jenkins project to pull from your fork of the source code.
- Make a fork of the Git repo at: https://github.com/linuxacademy/cicd-pipeline-train-schedule-dockerdeploy
- Successfully deploy the train-schedule app to production as a Docker container using the Jenkins Pipeline
Implement the following new stages in the Jenkinsfile:
Build Docker Image: Build a Docker image with the runnable code inside it.
Push Docker Image: Push the image to Docker Hub.
DeployToProduction: Deploy the new image to production.
- Stop and remove any older containers.
- Pull and run the newly built image.
After implementing these stages, run the build in Jenkins to deploy the application to production!