When running critical applications and infrastructure, we want to be sure to avoid any single point of failure — such as our Salt master. To allow for redundancy, we can configure multiple Salt masters that work with our minions, all of which run “hot” and can communicate with all minions. In this lab, we’ll take an existing Salt master and replicate it.
Successfully complete this lab by achieving the following learning objectives:
- Copy the Master Keys
- From the current master, copy over the existing master keys.
- Copy over any additional configuration files.
- On the new master, set up the configuration.
- Update the Minion
- Update the minion configuration to use both masters.
- Restart the minion configuration.
- Accept the minion on the new master.
- Run a Highstate Test
Run a highstate against the
devminion from the new master.