Welcome to this hands-on lab, where you will learn how to perform Auto Scaling rolling updates. A common scenario is the need to perform updates on the instances in an Auto Scaling group. It is not possible to update launch configurations directly, which complicates updating Auto Scaling groups without incurring downtime. Using Auto Scaling rolling updates is the answer. Rolling updates allow you to update instances (where the instances are actually replaced), while allowing you to specify that at least one instance is always active. In this way, downtime can be avoided while the update is taking place.
Successfully complete this lab by achieving the following learning objectives:
- Create 1 CloudFormation Stack
- Download the
rolling.jsontemplate file from the GitHub lab repository.
- Navigate to EC2.
- Create a key pair.
- Navigate to CloudFormation.
- Click Create stack.
- Click Upload a template file and select the
- Click the checkmark box and then the cloud icon in the top left to validate the template and create the stack.
- Enter any parameters required, and click Next.
- Click Next on the options page.
- Click Create.
- Download the
- Update Auto Scaling Group
- Click Update.
- Click Edit template in Designer.
- Click the up arrow icon in the top left to update the stack.
- Click Next.
- On the Specify stack details page, under Ec2InstanceType, enter t2.medium.
- Click Next > Next.
- Click Update stack.