Welcome to this hands-on lab, where you will learn how to perform Auto Scaling rolling updates. A common scenario is the need to perform updates on the instances in an Auto Scaling group. It is not possible to update launch configurations directly, which complicates updating Auto Scaling groups without incurring downtime. Using Auto Scaling rolling updates is the answer. Rolling updates allow you to update instances (where the instances are actually replaced), while allowing you to specify that at least 1 instance is always active. In this way, downtime can be avoided while the update is taking place
Successfully complete this lab by achieving the following learning objectives:
- Create 1 CloudFormation Stack
- Navigate to CloudFormation.
- Click Design Template.
- Click the Template tab, and paste in the provided CloudFormation template.
- Click the up arrow icon in the top left) to validate the template and create the stack.
- Enter any parameters required, and click Next.
- Click Next on the options page.
- Click Create.
- Update Auto Scaling Group
- Click the stack you want to update.
- Click Actions > Update Stack.
- Select Use current template.
- Click View/Edit template in Designer.
- Click the Template tab.
- Replace the existing template with the new template.
- Click the up arrow icon in the top left to update the stack.
- Click Next > Next > Next.
- Click Update.