This post highlights hands-on labs that will help you get real-life experience building up Amazon S3 skills.
Hands. They’re awesome for playing rock-paper-scissors or making a totally unconvincing dog shadow puppet. But hands also are handy for learning cloud. How? With ACG’s Hands-on Labs.
Our Hands-on Labs are exercises that guide you through getting your hands cloudy in real-world situations worked through in real safe cloud environments. In this post, we’ll cover a mix of Hands-on Labs that will help you get hands-on with the skills you’ll need to get an introduction to Amazon S3 (Simple Storage Service).
Get your hands cloudy
Learn by doing. Whether you’re new to tech or a seasoned pro, we put new skills within reach with hands-on learning.
Amazon S3 Introduction hands-on labs playlist
To get started with the hands-on labs below, you’ll need to have an ACG account. Don’t have an account? Don’t fret! Start a free trial and take the full hands-on ACG experience for a test drive for 7 days. Or create a free account — no credit card needed!
Some of these labs may available as part of our monthly rotating lineup of free courses and content.
Number of labs: 5 labs
Time to complete: 3 hours
S3 is kind of a big deal. Amazon S3 runs on the world’s largest global cloud infrastructure and is designed from the ground up to deliver 99.999999999% durability. Some have gone so far as to proclaim S3 the greatest cloud service of all time.
Ready to get hands-on in a crash-course introduction to S3? Let’s get started!
Suggested Music Pairings
- Handsome Furs – Repatriated
- The xx – Intro
- Miguel – Simple Things
- Carly Rae Jepsen – Store
- Grizzly Bear & Feist – Service Bell
Duration: 30 minutes
- Create Public and Private Amazon S3 Buckets and Upload a File to Each
- Enable Versioning on the Public Bucket
- Validate Access to Different Versions of Files with the Same Name
Description: This hands-on lab will take you on a journey to start learning Amazon S3. During this lab, you’ll be using the AWS Management Console.
Logged into your ACG account? Start this lab here.
Duration: 30 minutes
- Create S3 Bucket
- Enable Static Website Hosting
- Apply Bucket Policy
Are you already an ACG member? Start this lab here.
Duration: 30 minutes
- Create an S3 Bucket and Upload an Object
- Create a Lifecycle Policy
Description: Data often only needs to be accessed frequently for a short time. Once that time has passed, you may only hold onto the data just in case you need it again. This type of data can be archived, which is much more cost-effective than keeping it quickly accessible. AWS offers Glacier as a long-term archive storage service with lower costs. Data can be moved automatically between S3 storage classes using a lifecycle policy. Inthis hands-on lab, you’ll create a lifecycle policy.
ACG member? Start this lab now.
Watch: Automating AWS Cost Optimization
Using AWS cost-effectively can be a challenge. In this free, on-demand webinar, you’ll get an overview of AWS cost-optimization tools and strategies, like data storage optimization.
Duration: 75 minutes
- Update the IAM Policy
- Attach the IAM and S3 Bucket Policies
- Test and Verify the IAM and S3 Bucket Policies
- Enable Block Public Access in the S3 Bucket
- Configure CloudTrail and CloudWatch for SNS Event Notifications
Description: In this hands-on lab, you’ll implement S3 bucket policies and IAM policies to learn about the various ways to secure S3 buckets and the data within them. You’ll also see what services you can leverage to audit and remediate security issues.
Already an ACG member? Get hands-on here.
Duration: 90 minutes
- Investigate the Lab Environment
- Provide Appropriate Team and User Access
- Test Permissions
ACG member? Fire this lab up here.
Recommended next steps for learning more about S3
- Ready to take your S3 knowledge to the next level? Get a deep dive into S3 and learn all you need to know in this comprehensive S3 Masterclass! It takes you from S3 novice to guru within 9 hours.
- Keep up with all things AWS in our original series AWS This Week.
- From there, you might want to consider which AWS certification path is right for you. Certifications can help you accelerate your cloud career. You can check out some insights on top-paying cloud certifications and jobs.
- Not sure where to go next? Check out our learning paths for guidance on what to learn to keep advancing your AWS skills as you go from novice to guru.
Check out our other hands-on labs playlists
- Check out Ryan’s cloud playlist: Hands-on labs for learning AWS essentials, AWS security essentials, or AWS developer essentials.
- All in on Azure? Tune into Lars’ cloud playlist: Hands-on labs for Azure fundamentals.
- You down with GCP? Press play on our Hands-on labs playlist for learning GCP essentials.